Re: Re: [Harp-L] re: was timbre etc, now music theory

Garry said:

so i should spend several years listening to music i don't like, and if i
happen to pick the right people to listen to, i then will find i don't like
any of the music that i like now.

what a deal.

Well yeah, you can sell all your blues CDs and start all over again. Ummm... Maybe I should sell mine.

I have to say I did not like jazz much up until about 5 years ago but I slowly got sucked in, its like drinking beer at first if awful, then eventually it starts tasting fine. Eventually it's just great. Same with wine, people often start with sweeter wines and move up to drier wines, try and go back to those sweet german wines, can't do.

Some jazz is pretty far out and I think we tend to remember those weird abstract things we hated and start thinking that that is jazz, but jazz has many styles some of them are pretty mainstream, anyways if anyone is interested, the following CDs are very mainstream and I am sure they could move anybody on the list, these are like the sweet wines, the list gets a bit drier as one moves down. I used these CDs to get my wife hooked on jazz and it worked, now she buys Jazz CDs on her own and she does not turn the volume down on the stereo anymore; how cool is that?

Ben Webster, Soulville (Ben Webster on tenor and Oscar Peterson on Piano, match made in heaven)
Kenny Burell, Midnight blue (SRV raved about him so I checked him out when I got started, nice)
The Getz/Gilberto cd, (Robert Bonfiglio got me on this one, thank you Robert, I will forever be greatful )
Stanley Turentine, Hustlin' (With Shirley Scott on B-3 organ and Kenny Burell on guitar)
Winton Marsalis, Joe Cool's blues
Dave Brubeck, Take Five
Herbie Hancock, Gershwin's world (these are not the usual Gershwin's overplayed standards, some classical jazz, Some Stevie W.)
Danny Gatton and Joy DeFrancesco Relentless (Blues people will love this I think)
John McLaughlin, After the Rain with Joy DeFrancesco

Ben Webster is a "stylist", that means he's like a blues harp player, he goes for the sound. Unless you've heard Ben, you've never heard a sax played like like this.

Joy DeFrancesco is a great B-3 jazz organ player. Danny Gatton is an awsome guitar player with roots in blues, rock, country, whatever. Not sure what he is, but can he play. Kind of a child prodigy at age 12 like Stevie Wonder but on guitar.

Note: Winton Marsalis has all the critics after him because he (they say) did not advance jazz, but he is awesome technically on the trumpet. The band on Joe Cool's blues is one of the best I have heard. They Swing. Joe Cool is fun jazz and great music.

Stan Getz had 2 follow ups to the Getz/Gilberto CD, they are both classics:
 - Jazz Samba,
 - Jazz Samba encore

BTW I still like blues, but it has to be really good,

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Garry Hodgson" <garry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>