Re: [Harp-L] Superlux link (as per Sonny's request)

Garry Hodgson wrote:
<is its being omnidirectional a function of the kind of element used?  or is
<that a seperable design choice?  i'd think that would make it more prone
<to feedback.  is that true? are there sonic advantages to an omni pattern,
<vs. unidirectional?

One difference--don't know if I'd call it an advantage from a harp player's point of view--to an omnidirectional mic is that it doesn't produce the bass-heavy "proximity effect" that a unidirectional dynamic mic does.

I do think omnis are more prone to feedback.  I saw Charlie Musselwhite in 1971 playing a Shure omnidirectional mic through a Premiere twin 12" amp; he had major feedback issues all night long.

By the way, you know a few weeks ago, when I said ribbon mics aren't preferred for vocals?  I dunno what I was thinking that day, but the fact is that plenty of great vocals have been recorded on ribbons.  So never mind.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
Latest MP3s always at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter