Re: [Harp-L] Seydel 12-holers

Hi Jonathan,

Yes, that was vague! What I can say for sure is that they are available in LC and LA right now (and they also make a solo tuned C). The intention would be to eventually provide more keys, which would probably grow one-at-a-time depending on demand, and physical capability of constructing (like it seems a 12 hole in standard F would be just too high in the upper end to work). I think the standard range up to C would be physically possible.

I think the Solist 12 grew out of players' expressed desires to have a harp that combined Seydel's unique Low tunings with a regular tuned harp, so that a solo could be played from very low to regular, without switching harps.

I like the 12 hole tuning for some things, but I also like to switch harps and have the low, low end a complete harp, then the middle range a complete harp, and also Seydel makes G and A in high harps (especially popular for faster, bluegrass type playing).

ps: "Solist" is the German word for "soloist". Or, should I say "soloist" is the English word for "solist"?

Thanks,

Rupert Oysler
www.harprepair.com

Jonathan Ross wrote:
Rupert Oysler writes of the new Sedel Solist Pro 12 (BTW, what's a "solist"--I know what a "soloist" is, but not a "solist"):

"It will eventually be available in all keys."

Will it be available not just in 12-keys in the lower octave but in the standard range as well? "All keys" is rather vague.

I'd love a 12-hole with a plastic comb, normal spacing available in all keys in the standard range. I've never really understood why extended range diatonics tend to be more associated with lower-ranges by default. True, a C or F harp which extends upwards isn't going to be as useful as one which extends downwards, but the same isn't true of a G or A, IMO.

Thanks for any info.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'