-----Original Message-----
From: rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Biscuit Boy wrote:

"I'm just saying that knowing
theory just doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to ripping lead."

But of course it does. I write songs. My co writer comes out with this awesome riff. The two of us figure out where the notes are--it's in F# minor, then I figure out what position is best (fourth) and I figure out where the notes are--cause I know theory. Can't play a ripping lead until I figure out what to play.

Or we're playing a T Rex Bowie kind of riff and I think I should play a blues riff but it isn't making it, so I switch to major pentatonic and bingo. I know how to play major pentatonic in 2nd because I know theory.

We've got another cool riff that I can't quite get. Seems to want a major scale but there's a note that's wrong. I realize the opening riff is just an E7 chord and figure I need to play Mixolodian. The song modulates to B minor so I can either switch harps (not too likely) or figure out where some B minor notes are.

You don't need to know a lot of theory. Probably want to know what notes are in a scale--probably want to know your major scales, your blues scale, your minor scales, your Dorian, your Mixolodian your minor and major Pentatonic--probably want to know where those notes are on your harp.You can figure that stuff out pretty quick.It's nice if you play with a guitar if you can figure out a little what key they're in--maybe know the barre chords.