Re: [Harp-L] improving the harmonica (SBS harps)

I've got an SBS in D that I bought when they first came out (must be
nearly fifteen years ago) I hated it and it's hardly been used. It's
just a bad harp; I don't know if I just got a dud, but this ones a real
horror. I must say I don't like those big clunky combs Hohner use on all
their 12 & 14 hole Marine Bands. Wonder why they have to be differnt
from all the othjer model diatonics? Anyway, my SBS is no good. Maybe
I'll try some surgery on it sometime, to try and make it more
responsive. Anyone else got comments to make on the SBS in regard to my
experience?

RD

>>> Ken Hildebrand <airmojoken@xxxxxxxxx> 16/02/2007 6:57:45 >>>
The Hohner 365 Steve Baker Special (SBS)
has 14 holes where holes 1 to 3 duplicate
the tuning of the holes 1 to 3 on a regular 10-hole
diatonic, then holes 4 to 13 are like a regular
10-hole diatonic.

This means that holes 1-3 are pitched
an octave lower than hole 4-6, but the same playing
pattern exists with the same available bends like the
holes 1-3 on a normal 10-hole diatonic harp.

Hole 14 is pretty useless...
I've been thinking about sticking a duck qwacker in
hole 14!

The SBS harps come in keys A, G, Low C, Low D, and Low
F.

They are pretty cool harps, but take some getting use
since they are a bigger than a regular 10-hole harp.

Here's a link:

http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/HH365SBS.html

Ken in OH