[Harp-L] Suckers born every minute

Actually, the author of the quote was a banker named David Hannum.

Hannum was a major participant in a consortium which purchased a stone giant
from hoaxter George Hull.  It was a huge draw, and thousands of people paid
50c. to see it.

Barnum wanted to buy it and when Hannum refused, Barnum had his own carvers
create their own stone giant and Barnum opened his exhibit.

Hannum issued the quote, "There's a sucker born every minute," referring to
Barnum's exhibit and the people who paid to see it.  In a subsequent
lawsuit, Hull came forward and admitted his original hoax proving Hannum and
his group as the real suckers.

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!
P.S. My favorite quote is this one:
"Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of
sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica." - Abraham Lincoln, (from a
letter written by Lincoln when he was president of the United States to the
president of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

I can just imagine Lincoln sitting on the porch of the White House smoking
some weed and playing some tunes.  =8^D