From: mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 7:29 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Bending intonation...the regular kind

  Mike Fugazzi wrote:
Is my tongue supposed to be
totally flat and out of the equation?  I've always
used deep breaths and vowel sounds to shape my notes.
So while my tongue isn't stressed or very contorted,
it does change shape depending on what pitch I want to
hit.

In my opinion, the common instruction given to beginners to mimick vowel
sounds to produce bends is a sort of a cheap and dirty "device" to get one
started bending. Mimicking vowel sounds does not produce deep, rich sounding
bends like "back of the throat" bends do. A lot of that is because that
wagging tongue is: 1) impeding air flow; 2) causing air turbulence and
"eddy" currents inside the mouth; and 3) reducing the size of the oral
cavity and making its shape very irregular, both of which diminish its
ability to act as a resonant chamber. Me thinks that the sooner one can move
beyond mimicking vowel sounds to bend, the better harp player one will be.

>From watching the Howard Levy vid, this seems to be
normal.

The only description of my tongue I can think of is it
moves the same when I am using a straw on the regular
bends.  It does not hit the roof of my mouth.

When I overblow, that is a little more tongue based
(which would be a bad habit on normal bends).

My conclusion is I need to learn to finess them more
then I do.  It would be great to have sound samples of
a really awesome player playing the chromatic scale at
a slow pace.  Somebody who is spot on with their tone,
intonation, and timbre.

I agree completely. That would be good to measure one's progress in seeking
better bent tonality (timbre?).

When I was playing the third pos. scale with Dave
Barrett via one of his cds, I was surprised on how
much I sounded like him.  If he's playing them right,
then I must be ok.  Like I said, the rest of my band
can't tell the difference, so maybe it is a bigger
deal in my head then it really is to the ears.

Well Mike, I think I sound exactly like Butter. ;^)

Good luck with your bent tonality! You are barking up the right tree, fer
sure.

Michelle