Re: Subject: Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Loud extreme amps/ Subject Re: Jason Ricc

On Feb 13, 2007, at 4:56 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:
Perhaps it really is all in one's perception?

Also, perhaps if one expects "loud" and/or has some disdain  towards a
particular sound or band...one will hear 'loud"?

Elizabeth

I believe you have hit the proverbial rail road spike on the head with your omnipresent steel mallet.

If a group has what YOU consider crap material, play it in a crap way, and have crap co-hesiveness,
it will sound like loud crap. I recall Herman's Hideaway in Denver. It was loud, but not TOO loud. Reasons:

1.... building was WIDER than it was deep. Sound had a chance to 'fan'
2.... lot of people there. Sound had a chance to 'absorb' (into clothing, etc).
3.... none of the musicians were lame. All top shelf.
4.... the material was all well chosen. Very diversified from artist to artist
5.... the artists weren't competing and were in a comfortable 'harp friendly' atmosphere.
6.... the back up men were doing their jobs.....backing UP and not trying to 'Andy Warhol' their way to recognition.
There are more parameters, but I'll stop here.

We used to play at a place that was 135 ft. long and only 18 ft wide. We were set up by the front door on a 45. The sound would travel to a wall, richochet 90 cross to the other wall, do the same, and so on all the way down the bar, then come BACK. The sound was, as they say in the billiard world, " Six banks and back into THIS corner". The incessant echo would kill you.

smo-joe