Re: Subject: Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Loud extreme amps/ Subject Re:Jason Ricc

Elizabeth wrote;

So.....call it what you will, but I've attended most of JR&NB shows in my
neck of the woods with my spouse who's not at all a fan of "loud" OR Harmonica
music...and he doesn't find it the least bit painful to listen to either.
Contrarily...at 2005 SPAH, I was forced to leave the Ballroom....(sitting 2/3
of the way back) when one band in particular (not New Blood) took over the
stage because their decibel level was much too high and "clangy" for my ears,
and I thought I might actually be physically ill. I did have an incipient
migraine...so I've no doubt that played into it as well.

Perhaps it really is all in one's perception?

As they age, men lose their high frequency response more and sooner than do women. I'll bet an audiologist would find a substantial difference between your hearing and that of your husband. My hearing aids boost the high frequencies but my low frequency response is normal. My wife has lost some response at all frequiencies. She can hear the high frequency "beeps" of personal electronics when I cannot. I can hear the doves and owls outside when she can't.

At an outdoor concert a few years ago, we were seated very close to a huge speaker stack. I chewed up a deposit slip from my check book and put the paper pulp in my ears.

Vern