[Harp-L] Re: Loud extreme amps

EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

> ....now you know I respect you Gary, but just how long ago was  it when you
> heard Jason open for Kim Wilson and play at "blinding  volume"s?

i'm guessing it was 10/29/2004, at paramus picture show.  just a guess.

> I have extremely sensitive hearing...and one could  perhaps not be faulted
> for attributing my defense of Jason to the  fact that he's a good personal
> friend but for the fact that Smo-Joe, yet  another "sensitive hearing" person...and
> no fan of high volumes (like me)  said the very same thing about Jason and
> his band as I have...that for  some reason he finds JR&NB easy to listen to
> precisely  because they DON'T go past that level into "painful".

well, i have to disagree.  much as i love jason, i certainly couldn't handle a
JRNB show without hearing protection.  but that's just me.

> Not once have my ears "rung" while listening to Jason Ricci and New  Blood
> play.  Yes..it is loud. No..it isn't "too" loud.  There is  a difference.

different people have different tolerances.  i spent most of my youth attending
loud (as in, REALLY LOUD) rock concerts.  my ears just can't take the volume
anymore.  i wear ear protection whenever i go to a show (any show, not just jason),
and at every jam.  i highly recommend it.  because once i started doing that, i
discovered i can actually hear the music much better, since i'm not in overload
state all the time.  it's like turning down the recording level so you don't get clipping.

> So before you put something out there and possibly scare people away  from
> Jason's shows ....

nobody should be afraid to go to a jason show, or any show, because of volume.
but they should be prepared, just in case the volume is too loud.  bring earplugs.
use them if you need them.  save 'em for next time if you don't.

i keep a bunch of the disposable ones in my gig case, to give to folks who need
them.  i hate to see anyone miss out on great music due to something as easy
to deal with as volume.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it...to someone.