[Harp-L] Re: New Fender Amp Coming Soon

What do we want in an amp?  Tough question, and the answer varies depending on who you are, what you play, what sound you want, where you play, who you are playing with, how much you can afford, and many other factors. So far, what I want in an amp has been more than one single amp can deliver. I do not like modelers/processors or lots of effects (maybe a touch of analogue delay) and I can't see paying 4 grand for a new limited run Fender 57.

I play primarily amplified blues diatonic in small to medium bar type venues, usually in a 4 or 5 piece band, although sometimes I play outdoor festival/ big stage gigs as well as guitar/harp low volume duos. I enjoy visiting the occasional jam as well. I donât have roadies to carry gear, and although Iâm a big strong guy, Iâm 51 and after a gig at 1 or 2am I sure donât look forward to carrying heavy gear. I picked up a folding aluminum cart 3 years ago to help with load-in and load-out.

My opinion is that 3 different amps (large, medium and small) can cover my needs, and I am really satisfied with what is available in the large and small end of the spectrum.  I currently own 4 great amps.

My large amp is a Sonny Jr. 410 which is for me the grail of the large stage gig amps. I canât say enough about the amp and the man behind it. The SJ410 is just a great stage amp. It has all the volume I need with great cut, limited feedback, a huge bottom end, and nice tone. If I could only own one amp, this would be the one, no contest.

My small amp is a Hurricane V-8 which is like a Fender Champ on steroids optimized for harp. This class A, all tube single ended 5 watt amp with an 8â speaker, is great for practice, guitar/harp duos and recording. A second small amp is my 1960 Fender tweed Vibrolux. It is about 12 watts through a 10â speaker and has a great sound and looks great in all its tattered tweed glory. Guitar players always eye this amp.

My medium amp is a Kendrick Texas Crude harp amp (the trapezoidal cabinet with tweed covering and slats over the circular speaker grill). I played this as my main gig amp before I got the SJ410 3 years ago. It is 35 cathode biased watts (two 6L6s, two 12AX7s, and a tube rectifier) through a 12â speaker. I like the Kendrick a lot; it has good punch and nice bottom end with the single 12â speaker.

I think the middle sized amp is where many players are looking at this time. Iâm no amp engineer, but I think I would like the following specs as a mid-sized harp amp: two speakers (12â and 8â), @ 30 watts cathode biased, two bridgeable channels, simple tone controls, adjustable bias pot that can be reached easily, all tube (rectifier, two 5881s, two 12ax7s), point to point assembly, very simple, easily repairable circuit, a stand-by switch, a 15â long power cord, a line-out feature, pine finger jointed cabinet, covered with lacquered tweed, sturdy leather handle, under 35 pounds, affordable cost. I do not want reverb built in.

I know tone comes from within, but I enjoy playing through good gedar.

Just my 2 cents.....

Andy Vincent