Re: [Harp-L] New fender amp coming soon.

My ideall harp amp would have a volume control that would turn down guitar players... It would be simple, affordable and make me sound like (insert name here)....
Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp, still in frigid Minnesota

-----Original Message----- From: harplicks@xxxxxxxxx To: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Sent: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 07:26:51 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: [Harp-L] New fender amp coming soon.

  --- Chris Michalek <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Since I'm not really a blues guy, I ask you what
you're looking for in the ultimate blues harp
amp.

Hey Chris,

Wow, what an opportunity! Now, I don't have a great
deal of experience with truly great harp amps, but
I know what I like and what I don't like.

My ultimate harp amp would first of all, be very
resistant to feedback, the number one nemisis of
all harp players.

In terms of its sound characteristics, I love the
early breakup of smaller vintage amps, so good,
smooth breakup is essential, however, this ultimate
amp would NOT get muddy as it was pushed to higher
volumes. I think the amped sound that William Clark
achieved (with smaller amps) is about my ideal.

So, while retaining its smooth breakup qualities,
it would (in addition) also be capable of good cut
in a band situation. However, this good cut would
have to come about without sounding edgy or harsh.

Then there's volume. I'd like to see an amp that
has the power to be used un-miced in a live
situation, but also sound great at lower volumes.

I like the idea of combining 12" and 10" speakers
in a single unit, thus offering 22" of speaker
surface (pushing lots of air) and the abilty to use
the nice sweet mid/upper tonal palatte of a 10"
speaker with the huge bottom end of a 12" speaker.
Scott's amp delivers a gigantic tonal palatte that
I love.

Also, my ultimate amp should be able to be
compatable with a wide range of mics. Not just
compatible, but it should be able to allow
different mics to sound their best in this dream
rig. In other words, my nastiest bullet should honk
like a Christmas goose, and my clean SM-57 should
be able to produce the creamiest butteriest tones.

Lastly, my ideal amp would have the ability to go
from clean to nasty without a lot of hassle.
Perhaps 2 inputs could be used. And dialing in
great tone should not be difficult. There should be
a wide range of tonal qualities to choose from.

Effects. I won't go into onboard effects, though I
think delay and/or reverb, and maybe octave options
would be nice, though not a requirement.

Oh yeah, lastly, it shouldn't weigh more than 35 or
40 pounds.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.