To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 12:10 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Playing harmonica in a rack?

Playing the harmonica - in a *rack??* SHUDDER. Wasn't the rack originally a
medival torture device? Sometimes people sound torturous when they play
harmonica in a rack. And dividing one's attention between the harp and a
guitar? Talk about some harmonica infidelity!

Have there ever been any serious harmonica players who utilized a rack? How
could one ever achieve a decent tone using a rack?

My feeling is, you have players like Bob Dylan, Taj Mahal, and Neil Young,
who use the harp as something of a flavoring, and are kind of known for it,
but (in my feeling) do not really dedicate themselves to the instrument.
There's also Jimmy Reed, who for me comes the closest to actually being a
harmonica player of note who used a rack. But his playing was not, in my
opinion, particularly virtuosic. His songs are great and that's really what
it's all about. His singing and harp playing were, well, distinctive. But
technically outstanding? I don't think so.

But then, I could be wrong. I'd love to hear it, if it exists - rack
harmonica playing that is more than just functional or mildly decorative.

What are your feelings on racks? Are they handy for multi-instrumentalists?
Or do you find yourself snickering at the very thought of such a
contraption?

--
Rebecca Davis Winters
http://myspace.com/blindowlwilson