[Harp-L] Re: controlling high notes

If you are a player that is using overdraws then your attack on the high
notes if probably one of squeezing the notes rather than using the same
technique as you do on lower notes under 6. I don't TB upper register although I  do
from 6 down, I can up to the 9 hole, but Mitch Kashmar is the master of the  TB
playing upper register. You use the same technique, a throat vibrato, rather
than tongue to bend the upper notes, and the lighter and smoother you can
hold  the note the easier they will be to control. Play chords on the top
register  more towards William Clarke style than just hitting the chord, using a
vibrato.  My friend Mitch who knew William like a brother laughs when people ask
how he  got that "off" sound when he chords. Mitch said Bill was so broke he
played the  same out of tune chromatic for 12 years along with his harps. Like
trying to  copy a mistake one of the pros made in a run. If you open up your
mouth cavity  and make it empty and use your pulsing throat vibrato you can get
such a sweeter  tone, be able to hit and hold 10 bend as first note, or any
note you want.  This is just how I have worked on it to try and emulate Mitch's
attack, who is  as most know my very close friend and who I first taught to
TB. Pick up his new  CD, Wake up and Worry. There is some great first position
on there as well as  his refreshing non copied style. No overdraws or
overblows. Yes they can be most  annoying when trying to do them just to do them. You
need you harps set up  different which may not allow you to play the blow notes
with force, I don't  know enough about the setup to speak on it. Even though
I can hit overblows and  overdraws it will never be part of my style, with
what time I have left on this  earth is spent trying to polish my own particular
style which is difficult  enough. If I lived another life it might be an
option to start playing  understanding music theory so knowing how to use these and
hit them correctly  would be effective. I hope this helps..Sugar Ray is
playing Sunday from 2 - 5 in  Mystic, I hope to attend and sit in a song or two.