[Harp-L] Re: Pattern players

Hi there,

Pattern playing always get's me talking....
If I had describe myself then I would say I'm a rhythmical player
playing mostly patterns. My patterns are not necessarily
a riff. Mostly it is breathing patterns that make sense to my
brain. (Probably not to another player's brain)... Breathing patterns
and off course the influence of the tuning of our instrument.
Tuning influences what we play, and how your patterns turn out.

Often I listen to a record and I know what the guy is doing.
I could copy a riff, but if I do, it always gets modified because
of the breathing pattern of it not feeling right to me and the
way my brain works. lol.... So I end up changing it immediately
and playing around it using my natural breathing patterns.

A non-pattern player would be somebody studying a piece or a
snippage by heart, no matter the pattern in breathing being an
influence on the outcome. Even tuning can then be overcome and
almost not influence the outcome.

We are not alone in this thing. Imagine a saxophone player, who has
breath (only blow however) AND finger patterns that do or don't make
sense to the way his brain works.

I guess all this doesn't make sense to a player who solely learns
music by heart from paper or tab.

Regards,
Jerome Blanes

-Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Pattern players
-
-Iceman,
-I know you are not the one who iniated the "pattern player" post, but like
-another poster, I too am curious: what does this phrase mean? If you repeat
-a riff, you have created a pattern, right? My music and harmonica knowledge
-is limited, though I know the most boring music is that which repeats
-without ever changing the pattern, and some of the most interesting are
t-hose which use patterns, but break them subtely or rearrange them in
i-nteresting ways.
--
Also, I've only been on the list for 6 months or so, but I've heard you
-mention a few times what sound like some very interesting approaches to

Finding fabulous fares is fun.