Re: [Harp-L] Re: Music Lessons ! (where to report phishing emails)

On Feb 6, 2007, at 11:47 AM, Michael Peloquin wrote:

I got the exact same email for MUCIS lessons. I would have been more than qualified being sick the entire month of January!

When you get this kind of crap from a Yahoo address:
Turn on FULL HEADERS in your mail display options, then
Forward the email as is to:
phishing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's the sensible thing to do. But if you want to have fun and put some teeth into the investigation, invite the guy to send the check. Tell him that the bank requires HIS id and home address before cashing the check. Ask him to send a digital image of his license and proof of address, like a photo in front of his house. Take all of that and then give it to the "man." Criminals are fairly stupid for the most part. You'd be amazed at how many will fall for this.

If you want a good laugh, check out: http://www.419eater.com/ index.htm. It deals with this very same subject.

Bob