Re:[Harp-L] Harmonica Player vs Harp Player

From: "Eugene Ryan" <ryan.eugene@xxxxxxxxx>
Winslow wrote:
Jason. His technique is more refined. Every note he plays is highly
polished and >>absolutely intentional while Popper tends to run off in
an almost involuntary >>stream (at least he used to

That's a very interesting observation, Winslow.  I didn't know that
about Popper - I know he uses patterns, but I just assumed that they
were all worked out - and that the things that I didn't tend to like
in his playing were artistic choices on his part.

... Norton Buffalo. He is an incredible player who also plays very fast runs with spectacular
decorations.
OK, I couldn't help but fan the flames. I will start with my standard disclaimer: JP has certainly advanced the harmonica as far as public acceptance and I even enjoy hearing him at times.
BUT... Once again why does it seem that so many people miss the fundamental difference between JP and other players that can play "fast"? JP has 1/10th of the command on holes 1-4 of the harmonica, compared to these mentioned players. The emporer has no clothes. (Save a black leather vest and the bandolero thing that holds his harps.)

Michael Peloquin http://www.harpsax.com Come check me out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/harpsax

Valentine?s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctId=8323,ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24095&tcode=wlmtagline