Re: [Harp-L] Train Time: learning the tune

<snip>
> Think about this: A recording whether in the studio or live is a
> "mark in time" Its a moment when a musician expresses himself/herself
> and makes a comment to the word. The next moment, that same musician
> may have something else to say. Jack Bruce was a master improviser on
> any instrument he played. I am sure there are countless versions of
> Train Time many never recorded. To master on arrangement is to master
> one moment in time.

I recently cruised the Cream CD reissues and there were some BBC live
recordings that included a relatively short (something like 2:45)
version of Traintime. Haven't heard it, but it might make an
interesting comparison with the better known and longer live version.

Anyone who has heard alternative takes of the iconic Little Walter
instrumentals Juke and Off the Wall will appreciate the truth of what
James is saying. They are amazingly different from the master takes
-even though recorded on the same days at the same sessions as those
master takes (My Wheels of Fire LP set had vanished sometime in the
last  30-something years and I was thinking of replacing it, partly for
Traintime, partly for Crossroads (which also has a brief BBC
counterpart) and partly fro some of the unusual studio stuff.)

Jack Bruce told his story from his own set of influences and personal
creativity, as did Terry, Bailey, Jacobs, Butterfield, Mayall, and
anybody else worth mentioning. I agree - learn not just the specifics
but the background, internalize them, then reassemble them in your own
way.

Winslow