Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Train Time tab by CREAM... does it exist??? Please Help!!!

Elizabeth:

Thanks for your thoughts.  However, I think was I was reacting to was my perception of the writer's clear bragging on himself and name dropping.  If you listen to the song (which I hope you'll do someday), you'll see what I was talking about, in that, it is not something that someone with just a "good ear" will be able to pick up and play in a week, never having played harmonica before.

However, as to why such a thing would bother me, I don't know.  Maybe it is a weakness in my own personality.

You're right, he didn't say he mastered it.  He just said he learned it "in its entireity".  That, to me, however, means you've learned, at least, all the breaks and changes and accents from top to bottom.  It's a complicated 8 minute harmonica and drum piece.  If I say I've learned something in its entireity, I don't mean I just know what key the thing is in.  I mean I can play it dead on, very, very close to the original.  Maybe Doug's wording just threw me off and he meant something else.

Also, I guess I just have the greatest respect for the real thing, and when I hear people (so often) make uninformed claims or put it out there that the real thing was something very simple to achieve, to me, they demean the artist or the piece and the effort it took the artist to develop that talent.  Take, for example, Sonny Terry.  There are plenty of people who think they have his thing down, but they are missing the nuances and the back rhythms, etc.  It's like someone saying, "oh, Sonny Terry, hell, man, I figured his stuff out in two weeks!"  Or someone saying about Jason Ricci, "geez, he just plays a bunch of fast notes, I can do that, what's the big deal?"  Why that bothers me, I don't know, but it does.

All in all, Elizabeth from Scotland, I'm probably an ass for even bringing this whole thing up.  I admit that.  I'll take the blame and apologize.  Doug, you and me all share a love of the harp and we should always stick together and not attack each other.

However, if, as you describe yourself, you were a piano prodigy at 4, maybe you and Doug should form a duo.  :)  Again, I'm being confrontational, so I'll just sign off and stop rambling and go learn Traintime in its entireity.  See you in a few months or more.

Best wishes -- (I mean that, not being sarcastic)

Mike
Gainesville

Mike writes:

"You mastered Traintime in a week as a rank beginner?  My guess  is that you,
at least at that time, didn't know anything about playing  harp and like many
before you (including myself), only THOUGHT you were  playing the licks
correctly.  As you may know now, the more you play  and learn, the more you
recognize critical nuances that set apart the  great players from the hackers,
and
you realize that what you were playing  previously WASN'T that wonderful as you
thought at the time.

Traintime depends not just on the chug-a-chug rhythm, but on many,  many
accents shared with the drummer and the dynamics of the song.   THAT'S the song
--
the two instruments.  Just doing the chug-a-chug  and the big draw bend on 3
and 4 isn't mastering the song.  It's like  sayiing that because you know a

Mike
Gainesville