[Harp-L] re: Harmonica Infidelity

*Elizabeth wrote:*
*Of course I'm assuming that Rebecca was merely being as  light-hearted,
humorous and tongue-in-cheek as the originator of this  thread?*
**
Eh.... mostly. However, I do think there might be, in some cases,
psychological phenomena at work when people choose to play harmonica.
Certainly it might not be a phallic symbol to everyone, at least not on the
conscious level. But there are other possible correlations as well. I like
what Winslow wrote:

*While many musical instruments are played only by blowing, the act of
inhaling on a harmonica is physically not unlike smoking. And like smoking,
drinking, and eating, it involves bringing something into your body that
changes your mood.*

I think that for those of us who tend to be orally fixated, this is worth
thinking about. Speaking for myself, I like putting things in my mouth and
this is definitely part of the harmonica's attraction. For years I have been
a nail-biter, and if I wasn't violently allergic to cigarettes, would
probably smoke them, just because I like smoking things.

There is also something to be said about harmonica playing as a mood
altering activity. This might be due to the musical stimulation, but also
surely has some relation to the physical activity of deep breathing that
vigorous harmonica playing requires. I remember getting a distinct buzz
after long sessions of harmonica playing, especially in the beginning when
my lungs were getting used to it. Nowadays I am so out of shape that I am
more likely to pass out, unfortunately.

In any event, harmonica playing has got to be a better habit than smoking
tobacco, but I wouldn't recommend it as a substitute for sex in any event.