[Harp-L] What makes the SJ410 so amazing...

Just got back from driving down to CT to see Gary and to pick up my new SJ410 amp. Thought I would drop you all a line and give you some first impressions.

Before I even got to Gary's home I could hear the 410, no kidding! More projection than I have ever heard in any amp. Sweet, clean highs and absolutely thunderous lows. Like walking up to an old juke joint in the middle of a killer set —‚ only no PA, no band, just the SJ410 blasting away with a truly killer tone. (Not to mention what a treat to hear Gary's chops. I must have learned a dozen new tricks just sitting with him for the hour I was there.)

The 410 is a beauty to behold. Fit and finish is impeccable. Everything speaks to the quality and love that Gary puts into these babies. But this is no showpiece. Nor would it be happy sitting in some collector's room. This amp is born to rock hard without even breaking a sweat. Gary proceeded to give me just a little taste of what the 410 can do. Amazing! Thunderous! This amp must be felt to be believed! But this is not volume for loudness sake. The voicing here is very accurate. Everything you put into the baby comes out, but better. Stronger. Like it is on fire.

No amp will make a beginner sound like a pro, of course. And a great harp player (like the amazing Kim Wilson) would still sound amazing regardless of the amp they are playing through. I consider my self an intermediate player with about 10 years of searching for the "tone". I have been through countless amps on countless nights (with untold money spent) and have "heard that tone" on maybe a dozen of occasions. Within 10 minutes of playing the SJ40 I had the "tone", plus as much volume and projection as I (or anyone else) could ever need. In just 10 minutes! I can only imagine what this amp can do when I finally get familiar with it! My quest is over. Big sound, major tone, killer projection. NO FEEDBACK! This amp really does have it all.

But, what makes the SJ410 so amazing is Gary himself. Having spent only an hour with him, I already feel like I am a better harp player. He was a pleasure to deal with — an honest, straight-shooter who didn't try to sell me stuff I didn't need or bullshit me about why his amp is better. He's a craftsman who really cares about putting out the best he can. And he's a musician, like the rest of us. He's also an amazing wealth of knowledge and someone who you would do well to get to know.

Update: Just got in from playing at a late-night jam in Boston. The place was packed and by the time I got there the stage volume was already LOUD! Took one more set before I got up on stage — with two guitarists, keyboard, and three horns. (A harp player's nightmare for sure. Have been in this sort of situation before and normally would have been drowned out of the mix even with micing my amp.) From the first few notes I blew, everything was different. Not only could I hear myself — everyone else in the club could as well. I could see the guitarists looking at each other. (Guess they never actually "heard" a harp!) Even when they turned up (as they always do) the SJ410 cut thru; singing and rumbling like some evil angel. Even with the horns blasting on one side and both guitarists on the other I was able to stand my ground — hearing ever note: thunderous (to be sure) but never distorted! It was a singular experience. And after only owning the SJ410 for less than 12 hours. All I can say is: thank you, Gary!

Keep on harpin'

Thomjon (Tommy) Borges

Thomjon Borges

BorgesDesign
Results-driven creative marketing!

6 Mountain Road
Princeton, MA 01541
p:  978-464-2791
f:  866-233-8497
borgesdesign@xxxxxxx
http://web.mac.com/borgesdesign

NOTICE: The contents of this email and its attachments contain confidential and/or legally privileged information, which is for the use of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the comments of the contained information is strictly prohibited and that the documents should be returned to the sender immediately. If you have received this email in error, please notify me at borgesdesign@xxxxxxx immediately.