[Harp-L] Larry Adler

Larry will always be an enigma to me. I have read "it Ain't necessarily so" his autobiography. He wrote well and had an incredible sense of humor. Among his "harmonica mastering", he claims to have met Al Capone on a Friday night speak easy gig, had an affaire with Ingrid Bergman and was accompanied by the Duke Ellington Orchestra. What is fascinating is he tells these stories with incredible conviction although I have yet to meet an independent party who can validate any of these tales. But hell, nobody was hurt and they are fun stories.
I find many similarities between Larry Adler and Andres Segovia. Both were virtuosos who redefined the instrument and both were very conservative who insisted their way was the only way. Segovia hated the electric guitar and had a total disdain for traditional Flamenco (even thought he was from Andalusia birthplace of the art) Adler wrote very contemptuous statements about Little Walter and hated Chicago Blues. In spite of these "character flaws" both of these men were geniuses and innovators who redefined their respective instruments.  To quote Toots Thielemans "Larry Adler is the reason I play the harmonica. He said to me at the Blue Note Club , right after 9/11 when the smoke from the WTC was still in the air. I will swear to that statement.

E-mail message checked by PC Tools Spyware Doctor (5.0.0.187)
Database version: 5.08870
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/