Re: [Harp-L] Larry Adler Question For The Group

One of the things that Adler did so well was that he used the chromatic in the keys that
would give him the most bang for his buck...which makes perfect sense.  Any player on any
instrument is going to do the same thing.  Like a guitar player playing in the key of E.  Adler
did most of his work in the key of C.  I have a CD by Adler where he does most of his songs
in the key of C some in F and some in G both chromatic friendly keys.

In minor keys, mostly in A minor or D minor, again chromatic friendly keys.  There were
songs he transcribed into C that were originally in different keys such as "Solitude" by Duke
Ellington.  Originally in Db.  Just like alot of the great players that came from the Harmonica
Rascals; Leo and Abe Diamond, Fuzzy Feldman etc, Adler knew how to get the most out of
his playing using double stops as well as his own chordal accompaniment.  He even used a
polyphonia in a section of one of the songs in this CD.

Thats the benefit of playing in C, G or F.  Alot of the double stops and techniques Adler used
lie very well on the chromatic.  Out of 24 songs on the Cd I have he does one song in Bb,
Rhapsody in Blue.  I guess when you actually perform a tune WITH Gershwin you better do in
the key that he wrote it in.  However, that is not a philosophy Adler used throughout his
career.

As far as great technical players, there are many others that I would say were far better than
Adler.  Toots for one.  When you play Jazz, most of the time it is played in the original key
which can be any key that composer chooses.  Toots has done this this throughout his entire
career as well as many other chromatic Jazz players.  One of the best out there is Antonio
Serrano from Madrid Spain.  He not only a superb Jazz player but he is breaking new ground
playing Flamenco music on a chromatic with Flamenco legends such as Paco de Lucia and
Vicente Amigo.  Some of his work can be seen on YouTube.  Just type in Antonio Serrano.
I mention Serrano because he was at one time a protege of Adler's playing at the world
championships in '89 so he was influenced by Adler but took his own playing far passed
what Adler taught him.

regards,
Roger Gonzales
Fresno, CA.