Re: [Harp-L] Making Friends with 12th Position

Well, guess what? 12th position is turning out to be a whole lot of FUN!!!

Moj,
I first heard about 12th in a post by Pat Missin here about 10 years ago. I couldn't believe it hadn't ever occured to me before. I fell in love as fast as I could try it out.

A couple of years later I made track called Blowback, which you can hear at

http://www.HarmonicaGuitar.com/Blowback.mp3

I had the guitar track lying around for about a year, and one day I picked up a harp and started trying out some ideas. I realized that I was playing in 12th for the verse and 2nd for the chorus, which is certainly in a different key. I think - think - the chorus is played in 2nd. It's a neat structure in any case because each of the three verses has a completely different tune, while the chorus remains the same. Blame me for the voices, too.

I have been attracted to this two-keys-one-harp idea ever since, because key modulations often sneak into my tunes.

I've liked 12th very much since then because experience has shown us that there's an infinite amount of new music to be found in every position if we look hard enough, it's a whole lot easier to find those new sounds in 12th because it is such uncharted territory.

Ken