[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 52, Issue 48

I only get the digest so someone may have brought this
up by now, but it probably should be said in this thread
for completeness that there there are three alternations
that can happen on adjacent holes. Let's take 4-5D:
You can truly alternate them, so one stops when the
other starts; you can have 4D play through while 5D
starts and stops; and you can have 5D play through
while 4D stops and starts.  The first two are common.
The first is a more aggressive, harder sound to my
ears and is more what you'd hear on a piano.
The second (described by Larry Marks) can easily
be done on an organ and to my ears is a less out-
front technique. I use it more than the first one.  All
three can be played with a head shake, or by moving
the harp in a straigh line, or by rotating the harp so
each end gets alternates being closer to a cheek
I gather that both can be played with the tongue too.
-John Thaden

> [...]
>ahead.
>
>James told Otis Spann what happened.  Otis said (here
>I'm quoting James), "It ain't nothin' but this"-- and
>played two alternating notes on the piano, at first
>slowly and then rapidly to produce the characteristic
>sound of a trill as heard on the harmonica.  James
>told me that's how he finally got it.
>
>My point, for this topic, is that it's pretty clear to
>me that Little Walter, at least sometimes, produced
>trills with his tongue. Anybody else do it, especially
>as their preferred method?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Wolf

>------------------------------
>From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:51:35 -0800 (PST)>>>>
>Rapid alternation of two notes with just the tongue?
>
>I used to do it with adjacent holes when playing in a rack while I played harmonica. But I found for some reason that I could only do it when rack playing. If I held the harp I couldn't get the tongue tip small enough to alternate between just two holes. The sound always reminded me a little of Sonny Terry's sound, though I have no idea if he did that.
>
>However, for non-adjacent holes, I use tongue motino and so did Little Walter (Oh Baby is one example - cover three holes, block two, and move your tongue from side to side to alternate between corners of the mouth).
>
>For alternating adjacent holes you can just move the harp. It's a very small hand motion. Harp-and-hand(even with a mic) involves less mass than moving your head. It's a bit easier to control than your tongue  as it doesn't require a tiny movement of a relatively large object (tongue) in a tiny space (hole in your mouth and harmonica holes). To me it sounds like Walter moved the harp and not his head; head shakers get a different sound to my ear, more aggressive sounding and less fluid.
>
>By the way, "trill" has a specific meaning in standard music terminology, and alternating adjacent harmonica holes mostly doesn't fit. You're less likely to offend non-harmonica musicians if you call it a "shake' or a "warble" or a "roll." For it to be a trill, the two notes have to be adjacent notes in the scale so that they set up a dissonance and create tension.  Alternating Draw 6 and Draw 7 is a trill, properly speaking (A and B on a C harp), while alternating Draw 4 and 5 (F and A) is not, as F and A are not adjacent in the scale.
>
>Winslow

>I heard a guy do it in Berkeley (Larry Blake's Blue Monday for you Bay
>Areans) once. I never spoke to him about it, but I could clearly see and
>hear that he was doing a pseudo-trill (the blues 4-5D) with his tongue
>alone by covering and uncovering the 5, while playing the 4 straight
>through. Admired the tongue work, but I didn't like the sound. I shake.
>
>Larry Marks

>It has a subtly different sound to the 'shake'. I started
doing it from the example of Gwen Foster, usually with
 a block of one, two or three holes. Now I use it as well
in place of the usual 'shake', sometimes with the block, a
or sometimes on two adjacent holes. One favourite
application of this is in a fifth position minor blues with
an alternating blow on holes two & three, being the
root and minor third of the I chord, and similarly on
blow one & two or two and three producing the
minor third and fifth of the IV chord (when the
IV is minor) It is a more 'keyboard-like' sound,
which is my intention, trying to produce a
sort of organ-like backing. It has a passive
sound, compared to the head/hand 'shake'.