Re: [Harp-L] Tongue Trill

"The sound is very even and 'fleshy' in tone-not as aggresive as the head roll,but great for accompanying the vocalist."

My thoughts precisely, Laurence.
RD

>>> "laurence garman" <l.garman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 21/12/2007 13:41 >>>
Whilst this topic is in play I should add that,yes,the trill or warble sound usually associated with the 'head roll' is also a tonguing technique sometimes used by Little Walter and James Cotton et al.Also William Clarke,Kim Wilson and probably countless others.
I saw Little Walter perform live,and have met someone who states  that Walter demonstrated this method to him.
It is of course side to side.I spent a long time getting this down-it took me many hours of practice.The sound is very even and 'fleshy' in tone-not as aggresive as the head roll,but great for accompanying the vocalist.
I believe that the old masters used both methods-in fact Big Walter Horton sometimes shook the harp from side to side for fast trills.
Whatever works for you I suppose!
L.G