RE: [Harp-L] Chromatic Slide

When you get home from playing your chrom, get a dinner plate and fill it to about half a centimetre with very hot water.  Hold the harp, holes down, in the water and work the slide rapidly back and forth for a minute.  Carefully lift the harp out, holes down still, and allow to drain.  After a minute just tap the water out on your trouser leg as you would at the gig.  Don't put the harp back into its box until the next day (it needs to dry out).   I do this every time and I never have a sticking slide.  I assume that the hot water dissolves away the residue that could eventually lead to stickiness.   I think that using lubricant (other than water) is just going to attract dirt in the long run.   However, you may prefer to listen to an expert. ;-)

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm