Re: RE: [Harp-L] Seydel Big Six is in

Mark Lavoie wrote:
> The C is such a high ocatve key, that is harder to bend,
> because the reeds are shorter than a Bb,A,Ab,G. I always
> carry my G for daily playing. If you can bend notes on an
> A, and G harmonica, the odds are in your favor to master
> bends on most keys.

I don't know about the Big Six specifically, but on a standard
diatonic the reeds are the same length for the key of C as for Bb,
A, Ab, and G.  Shorter reeds are employed by some manufacturers on
harmonicas keyed above C.  That said, reed length won't directly
affect the ability of a note to "bend".

What *will* affect the bending of a note is the player's ability to
form the oral cavity into a resonating chamber that approximates the
pitch of the reed, then lower that resonant pitch to induce the
bend.  The keys at which a player can most easily accomplish this
will vary with the physiology of the individual.  The natural pitch
of a person's speaking voice is one indicator of where they might be
more comfortable.  Lower pitched voices will probably find it easier
to initiate bends on lower keyed harps.

I personally love a C harp, and this is the key of choice for
my "pocket harp".

-tim