[Harp-L] Re: Harper, an inspirational player

Hi everyone,

This is my very first posting on Harp L.  Im very happy to be part of the world wide harmonica family.  I was recently turned on to Australian harmonica player "Harper", yes its his real name.  I caught his show at the Old Town Blues Festival in Lansing Michigan. Harper was the headliner , & boy did Harper & his band put on a great show.  It was the highlight of a weekend of incredible music.  I was very inspired by Harper's unique style.  He plays his instrument like a guitar, amazing agility, lightning fast runs, yet his scalic patterns were very melodic and fitted perfectly with the changing chordal structure. He also changed his playing style to suit each song, sometimes sparse and acoustic then wild, distorted and electric. On top of that , the guy is incredibly humble.  He spoke to me for nearly 30 minutes after his show, giving me pointers and suggesting equipment.  I bought his latest Blind Pig Records release "Day By Day".  An incredible CD with
 superb production & meaningful lyrics.  I would describe his music as a cross between world music and blues fusion.  Harper also plays a mean didgeridoo and has a great baritone voice.  Check out his website & youtube:
www.harper.biz
www.youtube.com/harperband

There is a great version of "Help Me" up on youtube plus some great harp/didgeridoo clips including the show from the Old town Blues Festival which features solos by Harper's entire band.

Dave

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs