Re: [Harp-L] Seydel Big Six is in

The Seydel Big Six is designed to be played in second position and so has
just enough notes to do that.

 Somebody on the list once said that most harmonica players really didn't
need a 10-hole harmonica because most of them never played anything above the 6th
hole anyway. Well, somebody at Seydel must have heard this remark and taken
it to heart --urr harp.

The key of C Big Six is designed to be played in second position in the key
of G and the notes provide a complete mixolydian mode (play G to G on the white
keys of the piano).

The other issue, about the ubiquitous key of C -- It's everywhere, it's
everywhere, it's everywhere.

I thought this was explained by one (or more) of the more knowledgeable
sources on Harp-L, perhaps even someone connected to the harmonica industry as to
why C is the most common key.

It's register fits in the middle of the range of harps -- not too high and
not too low. (Cf. Middle C on the piano, too?!)

For draw bends, this means that the bends are not as "deep" (and a difficult
to manage) as the lower pitched harmonicas.

Perhaps there is another reason C is so common. Anyone who knows the least
bit about music knows that C   is the only major key that has no flats or sharps
-- which only serve to confuse people trying to figure out music anyway.

This is a favorite piano key for that reason. All you have to do is just play
the white keys, ignore the black keys and you're in the key of C (A minor is
another bunch of broccoli and will be discussed in another post).

Before the advent of the recent Low tune harps, harmonicas were tuned, low to
high:

G, A, Bb, C,   D,E,F,G

or if you prefer all 12

G, Ab, A.Bb, B -- C -- Db, D, Eb, E, F, F#
(so you can see C is almost in the middle)

There might be another reason why C is the most common key. Maybe it sells
the best, even in harp lines that offer 7 keys or even 12 keys (without the
extra Low and High tuned harps).

The only complaint I ever heard about the C harps is that they are difficult
-- some say virtually impossible -- to blow bend on the top end. That is my
newbies are urged to try A or G harps when first working on executing   blow
bends.

Now I suspect that if Seydel sells a few thousand Big Sixes in the key of C,
the firm may offer other keys. Or maybe take custom orders, as it does for
some of its other lines.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and all the holidays in-between. Or
Seasons Greetings.
Phil Lloyd

In a message dated 12/18/07 9:08:40 AM, lavoie@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> FJM,
> You are so right. The C is such a high octave key, that is harder to bend,
> because the reeds are shorter than a Bb,A,Ab,G. I always carry my G for
> daily playing. If you can bend notes on an A, and G harmonica, the odds are
> in your favor to master bends on most keys.
> I would definitely would buy a Big Six if it came out in the key of G. I
> love the sound of the Mouth Organ in this key.
> Stay tuned!
> Mark LaVoie

See AOL's top rated recipes