Re: [Harp-L] Re: JJ Milteau plays "What a wonderful world"

The esteemed Benoit Felten says:

I was surprised several times, talking with pro harmonica players about the concerts

and hearing them say thngs like "he plays mostly 3rd position, that's not very

inventive" or "he uses alternate tunings, I don't like that". These are the kinds

of comments that suggest to me that the listener hasn't heard the music...

A hazard of the trade. I find myself analysing music to an extreme. Live shows can bring out the worst in me. Luckily for me there are enough transcendent performances out there that I still get to experience the utter joy of just listening while basking in that glow that comes from being absorbed in the sounds and nothing else. Precision has a place but it isn't the end all be all of musicianship. There are certainly many technically proficient performers who leave me somehow cold. There's nothing to draw me in emotionally and really what else is music about other than emotion and that expression? fjm