Re: [Harp-L] What's a double Stop??/ Harmonica terms

Ok, the subject came up that someone should write a dictionary of harmonica terms. Well, there IS such a compilation but it is musical terms and it is (mainly) aimed at music in general. Some have application(s) to some instruments, others..well...others.

Example: What if I were to tell you I was doing a 'draw slur-gliss down to a flatted A'. Would you know what I was talking about?

How about: Smear, shake, rattle, roll? How about a stairstep, How about a 2-1 waterfall or stairstep? How about a 1/12 1/12 ascending or decending step or fall (usually done with corner switching). Glottal stop, cough, chipped note, chirp, walking INTO a note, dropping out OF a note? Slide jab, stab, or flick? (chromo)

How about a brrrr, a purrr, growl, snort, gargle? How about a draw 3rd 4th 5th combination? (the 'train' sound)? How about playing off the sharped key? (chromo only). How about hand positions.

What I think happened was that in various people's zeal to try to explain what they were doing, they used nomenclature that they thought (at the time) would make it fairly clear. Nothing could be farther from the truth. One man's canoe is another man's garden planter.

Time for me to stop now and go practice my 'combinations'.

smokey-joe