Re: [Harp-L] "I Want My Mama"

jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Is there anybody on this list (Tom Ball maybe?) who can do a convincing reproduction of Sonny Terrys talking harmonica trick where he makes the harp say "I want my mama" ?
Flattered to be mentioned, but nope, I'm a dunce at it.

But then frankly, as much as I love Sonny's playing, I never thought him to be the best at that particular effect; I always thought his Ms sounded more like Ws. Eddy Manson was a good "talker" on chromatic, but IMHO Salty Holmes was the hands-down champ on either harp. His "talking" got better and better as time progressed, as evidenced by the contrasts between his early "I Want My Mama," and his later follow-up, the brilliant "I Found My Mama."

For a small example of Salty (and his wife Mattie,) check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2RE9A2bsD4

-TB