[Harp-L] 12th position

I'm a big advocate of learning to bend accurately to pitch. We had the use of a baby grand piano at the last Rockers In The Rockies, and bending to pitch was about 80% of what I taught. Here are a few ideas:

1. Play to a keyboard. This helps with both ear training and training your muscles to accurately sound the bent note. If you cannot pre-hear the target pitch accurately you almost certainly will not be able to play it accurately.

2. Play to a tuner. I find strobe tuners to be the best. Peterson (http://www.petersontuners.com/) now offers virtual strobe software for both Macs and PCs for $50.00. I have never been able to make a needle-type tuner work for me, but you might have better luck.

3. Sing the bent note (accurately!) before you play it. I have no idea why this works, but it does.

4. Play simple melodies that you know well in which the note you are working on is an important melody note and record your attempts. Since you are familiar with how the melody should sound, your ear will tell you right away whether you are on target.

5. Use a clean attack. Do not slide into the note.

6. Relax. Resonance is the key, not force. It is possible to muscle a bend into tune, but the tone will suffer.

7. After you can produce the bent note accurately by itself, approach it from other notes, starting with small intervals (but not too small - I think most people find a whole step interval easier than a half-step) and proceed over time to larger intervals.

George