[Harp-L] Lightweight Amp

JK asked:
  "Any Zeller's using the Pignose 40w tube amp for anything,small gigs,practice,jams?
I am looking for a lightweight amp w/ some pop & this came to my
attention. I appreciate any info."

  Johnny,

  I did a paper comparison with the Pignose G40V and the Johnson Laredo T25R (both available at C2C, so its easy to compare).  The Pignose has one more preamp 12AX7 tube, but the Johnson has a reverb tank and is a bit lighter.  Both are about the same size, use a SS rectifier and have a 10" speaker.  I'm not sure if the Pignose has an effects loop, but the Johnson does (with a wet/dry control).

  Both need lower gain preamp tube(s) if you want to use a hot harp mic.  I've got a 520DX GB mic and have gone to two 12AU7s (I tried 12AY7s, but wanted more head room) in the Johnson.  Both could use a better speaker!

  The Johnson has a couple of extra features, is a bit less powerful but a bit lighter and is cheaper.

  YMMV
  Cheers
  Maka

Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now.