Re: [Harp-L] My comment on Jason Ricci-One more thing

On Dec 3, 2007, at 8:35 PM, Michael Peloquin wrote:

Another thing is that the old blues guys played very close to the vest with their knowledge, tips & tricks.

I'm glad you mentioned this Michael. I left home and went on my own when I was 3 months shy of my 18th birthday. While hoboing through the south doing odd jobs, I found myself working as a tack welder at the Dravo Corp. ship repair yard in Baton Rouge, La. Hitting all the (mostly black) 'juke joints' within a couple hours of my hovel for the next 10 months, I got to see & hear many of the greats of the time. And it was a wonderful time. But I was poor.

While attempting to talk to Rice Miller, I got snapped at. Now at the time there were racial problems between the black students of Southern U. (north side of Baton) and the white students of LSU (south side of Baton). At the time I was an older 'than' looking 18 year old with a DA, moustache and goatee. I don't feel like I looked like a college kid, but I understand.

Several months later, I was in boot camp at Great Lakes, and upon trying to meet Little Walter, I got a dirty look, and a 'what the **** do YOU want'. With the exception of Jimmy Cotton, most of those old heros (that 'I' met...or more correctly TRIED to meet) weren't very friendly...NOR pleasant. This made me sad, so maybe I have a bit of resentment and it has jaded my recollections somewhat.

Just ask Madcat about his "lesson" with Big Walter (one of my early heroes and influences.)
Jason Ricci will tell you EVERYTHING he knows about the harmonica and is actively involved in education and advancement of our humble (ing) instrument. (Not that it would help one to play like him!) Jason Ricci IS the harmonica in so many ways

Jason, on the other hand, saw right away that I was a pleasant, humble, mannerly, harmless, old man and treated me with kindness right off the bat. So, if I happen to appreciate him, then I'm guilty.

smokey-joe

let's log off and practice or play a gig!Michael Peloquin http:// www.harpsax.comhttp://www.myspace.com/ harpsax_______________________________________________
Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx