Re: [Harp-L] 12th position

...and again. What else are you going to say to Jimmy? I don't know what level he's at. There isn't any magic trick as his email begged for; you've just got to listen and get the thing in tune. A lot of players on this list wouldn't have a clue about where the keynote was for 12th, so I was just trying to point in the right direction. I've taught harp to close to 1000 people over the last decade, and heading people in the general direction works. Even if it's 'bush navigation', it's often the rough and direct route that works best.
By the way, you blokes who say you play in 12th, do you have your harps tuned ET? The old draw 5 & 9 are certainly going to be flat on a JI harp.
RD

--- Rick Dempster <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>       Look, I know I'm probably going to get some disagreement here
> as far as 'exact pitch' goes, but the best guide is just to mash down
> on the 2 hole bend as far as you can.
>      Depending on the harp, you might be a few cents out one way or
> the other, but the 'floor' of bend 2 is the keynote of 12th, as is
> draw 5 and draw 9.

The bottom of a bend is always flatter than the proper note; same goes
for an overblow. Both need to be raised slightly to be in tune. If any
note needs to be in tune, it's your tonic note.

Winslow