  From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx
  To: academys@xxxxxxxxxxx
  Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx ; peloquinharp@xxxxxxxxxxx ; BradKava@xxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 1:16 PM
  Subject: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci superharp?

  Dan: Just curious...were you watching the same Jason Ricci Harpin' Help the rest of us were? ....The one I posted? ... lol

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m18rLUlQGo

  After a long sustained harp solo (no vocals whatsoever)  lasting over 6 minutes, and just as the camera glitches and begins to cut out (it's explained by the poster on YouTube that it isn't the best quality and is shot with a hand-held videocam), Jason grabbed the mic and sang exactly four words:  "I'm just a playboy", leading into his next song.  Actually even the last word was cut short.  The description accompanying the video explains that he is coming out of "Driftin' Blues" into "Playboy".

  So please explain again how or where you "listened carefully" and heard him singing Boogie Chillen' in this 'Harpin Help' clip, and how this compares in any shape or form to John Lee Hooker's version because, frankly..... I'm stumped and must be missing something.

  Here's where one can hear a short sample of John Lee Hooker singing the song you're talking about:

  http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1034868/a/Boogie+Chillun.htm

  So far no one here has made any claim at all of anointing Jason a "harmonica god" in all of the posts I've read (I've gone back to check just to see what this tempest in a teapot issue might be).  What his friends have been doing were pointing out either how Jason affected them personally, or expressing their happiness and excitement over Jason Ricci and his band finally seeming to be on the verge of the success they've earned since his new (and first studio produced) CD is being very well received.... long overdue in many opinions.

  I'm honestly curious why that could at all be an issue with anyone, including you and Haka Hari?  Jason's still a harp-l member, a harmonica player of some repute and as far as I know, any one of us who like and admire him carrying on a discussion about him or any harmonica player in the affirmative doesn't (yet) violate any rules of conduct here.

   I will never, however...understand the reasons behind negativity towards a musician on any instrument, so no...I could not 'imagine the comments' if you were to post what you deem 'anemic' copies of Little Walter riffs...  since it seems purely counter-productive, imho.

  Perhaps more people on the list who haven't, should try to attend at least one harmonica convention..since the mood and attitude I've found there (most especially if a Filisko teach-in is scheduled), is always upbeat and one of real camaraderie and help, teaching and improvement given to even the "newbiest" of new players...never a hint of negativity or judgmentalism.  Perhaps too, I've simply been spoiled by the selflessness and magnanimity shown me by all of these amazing people, including Jason.

  Elizabeth