[Harp-L] Bad News Brown

I think the attitudes towards hip-hop and rapping in particular are essentially generational, much like previous splits over jazz, rock&roll, punk and funk. Most people (by no means all, but most) over a certain age simply don't understand or find value in the new musical form and it takes decades, if ever, for this to change. But, most under a certain age embrace it fully simply because it is their culture--it feels natural to them. Later, a more developed form of the new music emerges which tends to be made by those who grew up after the initial schism and so they fully accept and understand the new form. We're in that phase with hip-hop; rock can be seen as going through that phase in the 60's, a decade or more after the first big rock&roll wave; jazz was in that phase in the late 30's and early 40's after jazz hit big in the 20's and 30's.

This sort of schism is part of the nature of popular music as being essentially a youth experience (as has been the case for the last hundred years, if not longer). Indeed, it's probably healthy in many ways, as all of these splits tended to be focused on a form of youthful rebellion, which is a natural part of growing up.

I'm just excited that there will be some harmonica played by someone on the youth side of the latest split--and that they're doing it well from.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'