[Harp-L] Third position

Since I recently began playing harp with a guitarist/singer, I have discovered that third position works better for some songs. Unfortunately, I'm not very good in third position. I can play third on minor blues songs, by ear, but I am struggling to find much in third on non-minor songs. Is it acceptable to play the minor blues scale over a major scale in third position? I am just not getting the feel for it.
   What has been interesting, though, is that I find myself using 13 different harps in the course of a three-hour night of playing. What I'm doing right now is not at a very high level, but I'm in the process of trying to find harp parts on about 60 songs. Since I'm not the world's greatest musician, that process has been a challenge, figuring out fills and little solos and trying to fit harp into this acoustic sound in a tasteful way. Sometimes, the challenge is to make myself play less on a song.
  Steve Webb
  Harpin' along in Minnesota