Re: [Harp-L] RE: Loud drunk guitar players

It seems I stand between a rock and a hard place as the saying goes.
First..... I wear ear monoliptic (<?) ear plugs. Before that I wore
sonic 2's and or anything that would protect my ears. After 30 years (of playing) or so
my hearing sensitivity is below 10 decipals in all frequencies which I'm
pretty proud of (PLUGS). Having said all that, here is the "rock". I play with
Bobby Parker who came up in the old school way of doing things, when speaking
of guitar tone and volume. He explained to me that when he came up you had to rely on making your own power, PA's didn't cut it hence the BIG A%# amps.
Here comes the hard place. In order to keep up with Bobby I've had to resort to being loud myself. I've spent a fair amount of time and money to do this.
I know I have choices. I must say I give Bobby the utmost respect. I've experienced many things playing with him that I may never have without. As well the challenges of learning horn lines on harp and adapting the way I play to suit Bobby's harp needs has made me a better player.
Back to choices. I'm not going to quit playing with Bobby so I'll have to be loud.
Here is the cool thing about all this, I've been able to put together a rig that can keep up with all but a few guitarists, and as well play whisper quiet and pretty much have the same tone.
When I gig with my band I try to keep the volume quite reasonable. Iceman I deffinatly have to agree, when the volume is lower the band sounds better.
I do a sound on occasion. As the band gets louder the more frequencies have to be reduced in the mix in order to increase the gain before feedback, pretty soon you have a severe discoloration of the sound and no one likes to listen to baby poop green....<feeble attempt at comedy

----- Original Message ----- From: <IcemanLE@xxxxxxx>