[Harp-L] Re: Was Loud Guitar, was Loud Harp Amps - now just plain LOUD

In a message dated 8/30/2007 1:11:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Mudharp
writes:

Is it a  drag that the trend is toward loud and that specialty harp amps  are
helping to level the playing field with guitarists now? That's  debatable I
guess. I'm not a fan of loud.

Until some class action lawyer gathers the boomers who are losing their
hearing because of TOO LOUD being the norm for concerts these days, this is an
unfortunate evolution in sound thrust upon the public, which accepts it as
"that's just the way it is".

One of my missions is to prove "that's the way it doesn't have to be" -
through the BOSE PAS and L1, L2 systems and BOSE philosophy. It is also the
driving force behind this company in developing this concept of live sound
reinforcement. Granted, it is an uphill battle, as 40 years of bad sound  philosophy
has given musicians a benchmark and comfort zone in which they are  accustomed
to having sound sound this way.

However, once you experience the alternative, as an audience you are blown
away - "Gee, I can really hear the music  - even all the vocals are crystal
clear. It sounds like a CD, I still feel the music and I can talk to my -------
(husband, wife, date, friends) without yelling in their ears. At the end of
the  night, my ears aren't ringing. Who would have thought....?"

As a musician, about 90% are transformed by the experience - 10% are
resistant, being uncomfortable with such a radical departure from what they are  used
to as stage sound.

Musicians clearly hear the whole band and themselves in the mix balance
resulting in playing more relaxed and at a lower volume. It levels the playing
field as long as the EGO (I'm only listening to ME while I play in this band) is
 subdued.

Clearly, along with saving the environment, healthier eating  and better
lifestyle, this is an idea who's time has come -  hopefully.

I know that I love playing in this type of environment, as well as
experiencing live music done properly.

For harmonica players, there is no more fighting to be heard. As a matter  of
fact, you actually sound better when you can play relaxed and aren't forced
into BLOWING HARD. That smaller sweet sounding amp will do just fine when
mic'ed  through the system.

Everyone is enjoying Smokey Joe's youtube videos - good stuff. However, I
can't help noticing those butt ugly humongous wedgie monitors in front of him.
Imagine life without such beasts - stage looks and feels a lot cleaner - more
organic and less cluttered with "outdated" technology. If we can downsize and
 make more efficient wireless phones (remember those clunky hand held
monstrosities from the early 90's?), why not carry this forward to live music as
well.

Unite Now - Save (what is left of) Our Eardrums

The Iceman