[Harp-L] Chromatiphobia (long)

Hi Guys and Gals!

     After reading all these posts about toungue-waggin' and head-shakin' (
I had to "bite my toungue", not to make obscene comments about how to
PRACTICE the toungue techniques, errrh; WITHOUT the use of a harmonica!) ...
I thought I would put my two-cents in about chromatiphobia (fear of the
chromatic).
For over twenty years, as I worked to develop my diatonic skills, I ignored
the chromatic as being:

A) Too wussy!
B) Too HARD TO PLAY and/or
C) TOO EXPENSIVE!

When I did try to play it, it just didn't "corner" the same as my little
"di.

     I used to describe it as trying to drive a Lincoln the way you would a
Corvette ... if you take turns at the same speed, you can get into major
trouble!  Even though my first harmonica, in 1980, was a
Chrometta 8, I just couldn't get what all the fuss was about!  I bought a
used Hohner 64 Chromatic, then I got a Hering "Baritino" (sp?) ... one of
the budget models Farrel's used to sell.  I really liked that, but I LOVED
the Hohner CX-12, in "A"!  I used that, along with my "C" Hering,  to record
a trippy album, based on the Oceans of the Moon ("Maria di Luna") along with
a skilled keyboardist.  This got me over my initial Chromatiphobia.  I was
able to just go nuts, without worrying about whether I was "doing it right".
I was doing it right FOR ME!  This brings me to my first major point ...

1) Get the @#&% out of your own way!  Everyone has the right to make an ASS
out of themselves and you don't make any progress without taking chances!
Nobody (that I know of!), with the exception of Stevie Wonder, sounded good
right out of the gate.  You can point at the moon and some people will look
at it and dig it ... others will try to count the lines on your finger!  To
quote the Tao Te Ching;
     "We do, without doing ... and everything gets done!".

     All that said ... the "smiling technique" can be used to "coax" a note
from ANY harmonica and give it a distinct "pear" shape. It is the same
technique used to raise the pitch of a note when you're whistling.  Try
whistling with a short, increasing pitch- the way you would whistle to call
a dog back to you, only breathing in.  You'll notice the corners of your
mouth stretching back and tightening.  This is like how a fish's mouth
breathes, but in reverse.  Using this technique is really useful (TO ME!!!)
in drawing out notes to give them definition.  Hope this helps SOMEONE,
SOMEWHERE!

2) I know this has been said before, but it bears repeating.  Certain
players, like Fernando in Mexico, want the flexibility of a chromatics
notes, with the familiar layout of a diatonic.  For some, the Koch chromatic
may be useful ... either as an end-point, or as training wheels while
learning the 'Chro.  I've only played one briefly, years ago, but I recall
hearing some people rave about them.

3) I LOVE THE WAY THE HOHNER CX-12 CAN BEND!  I can really get this puppy to
bend in a way that I have found "impossible" with any other chromatic.

4) Get a Hohner CX-12 (in order to bend easier!) in the key of "A"!  Don't
start counting lines on the finger, just DO IT!
This will allow you to start practicing blues and stuff in a key that is
VERY guitar-friendly.  For most real world applications; the "A" chromatic
is more useful than a "C", because of the frequency of tunes being called in
derivations of "E" by so many guitarists.  Just my opinion.  I use it for
nearly every non-blues song in the key of "E".  I play with a reggae band
and would be LOST playing MARLEY without it!

Finally, try to work on melodic tunes you already know in your head to
increase your comfort level on the 'Chro ... "Greensleeves" drove me crazy
for awhile.  It's very easy except for the two times you must push the
button to get the turnaround right!  Sorry in advance, because it WILL make
you mad until you get it!
Once you CAN play a few tunes that way, it will increase your confidence.
Don't give up!  The sound and the notes you are looking for ARE there!  Like
anything requiring skill, persistence is the key.  Listen to anything by
Toots, Stevie, Little Walter or Larry Adler to get an idea of the power and
versatility of the mighty Chromatic!

     Peace, Love and Freedom! - Craig