Re: [Harp-L] Reed embossing with a penny, Richard's way

Some people use a ball that is too small. Then what happens is that you make a 'furrow' and the sharp shoulders wind up down IN the reed plate. This is not so bad if you have small reed gaps to begin with, but I think it's better to use a ball end at least 11.4 times in dia that the reed slot is in width. That way, you swage the brass flatter and don't wind up with as much of a trench. The departure angle on a ball that large is not so severe.

King Richard the Lion Hearted's method (a pence) is valid (size wise) as anyone whom has ever heard him can attest to his wonderful sound.

smokey-joe