Subject: [Harp-L] Custom harps

CaptRon writes: (excerpted)

"The ant-  theft strips are used for deburring the sides of reeds and  reed
slots."

.....only one little comment, Ron...I do believe (at least from what I've
gleaned from the chromo players who've talked about this at length on other
sites)...that the anti-theft strips might be used in place of feeler  gauges
(they're very thin) to support the reed while gapping/tuning.  I end  up lugging
around my whole set of feeler gauges (heavy) in my harmonica  cleaning/repair
kit, when it'd be so much simpler to carry a couple of those  strips, so would
appreciate the clarification as well....Smokey?  ....anyone?

Elizabeth

"Message: 6
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:43:29 EDT
From:  Captron100@xxxxxxx
To:  harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 8/24/2007 5:56:29 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time, randy
writes:

Do U guys that  tweak your  harps seal the rivet end of the reed  with finger
nail polish or   something as a matter of course? ........  I finally got
some
of the  strips from the anti  theft device's from Wal  Mart but
be darned  if I can remember what the idea was with using  them. ........ I
guess  I should gap them  first?

Randy, the wax  and nail polish fix  are for harps that squeal when OB'ing.
An alternate  technique is  to use a strip of micropore tape on the reed.
Here's some URL's for u  to explore the above:
_http://tenhole.com/?menuid=278_  (http://tenhole.com/?menuid=278)    and
_http://overblow.com/_
(http://overblow.com/)
The ant-  theft strips are used for  deburring the sides of reeds and reed
slots.
Gapping is a great  start.  Re embossing, it reduces tolerances and  should
make the  harp play better.  U have to stay away from the reed end or  else u

will squash the reed into it's slot.  To keep u from overdoing   it, until u
get a
feel for it, you might want to try one pass at a  time,  then plink the reed
with a feeler gauge after each pass.   You  will then hear the noise as soon
as
u begin to overdo it, while it  is still easy  to correct.  For embossing the
slot, I use a small  socket; others use  nothing more complicated, or
expensive,
than a  penny.
I suggest that every harp player get a set of tools.   I  have a Lee Oskar
set, but only use a few of the tools from it.   I no  longer use chisels to
scrape reeds.  Instead i use the  sanding wands from  MicroMark.  For me,
feeler
gauges are  necessary basic tools, as are  toothpicks.
U may also want to cut  the learning curve by buying Rupert Oysler's  harp
repair and  maintenance CD-ROM or DVD.  Starting when you are  young is a
good
idea, imho.
ron"