[Harp-L] cigar harp

I recently received a message from Brazilian harp player Alain Souto Remy.  He was watching Rice MIller play cigar style, googled cigar style harp and came up with my website.
  He emailed me, asking how to do it.  He then suggested I publish the information.  Here goes:

  The cigar harp style can be very difficult, I have great success one day and I am terrible the next.  I use the smallest harp I can find like a marine band or MAYBE a special 20.

I tip my neck back a little bit.  I put the low end of the harp inside of my mouth.  I turn the harp so the open holes are facing my right side.  I use tongue blocking to cover the lower holes and I blow or draw and the next highest hole that is unblocked will sound.  For example, if I want to play 3 draw,
I will cover holes 1 and 2 with my tongue.

I hold the harp between my back teeth on my left side.  I open my jaw while my neck is tipped back to let the harp fall backwards in my mouth in order to play a higher hole.  I bite down on the harp to stop the harp from moving back.  I also use my tongue to push the harp backwards and forwards.

I definitely bend, but I have to really use my muscles in the throat and lips.  It is easier to bend on a high pitched harp, like a D.

I take my tongue off the harp to play chords.  I tap my tongue on the roof on my mouth (TA TA TA) to repeat and crisply articulate the chords.

I can tongue slap, where I play a chord and quickly place my tongue on the left side of my mouth to get a single note on the right side.

I often will play 3 blow as opposed to 2 draw, because I want as little movement as possible.

I have found 3rd position often provides more success than 2nd position.

Good luck, have fun,
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com