[Harp-L] Custom harps

In a message dated 8/24/2007 5:56:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, randy
writes:

Do U guys that  tweak your harps seal the rivet end of the reed  with finger
nail polish or  something as a matter of course? ........  I finally got some
of the strips from the anti  theft device's from Wal  Mart but
be darned if I can remember what the idea was with using  them. ........ I
guess I should gap them  first?

Randy, the wax  and nail polish fix are for harps that squeal when OB'ing.
An alternate  technique is to use a strip of micropore tape on the reed.
  Here's some URL's for u to explore the above:
_http://tenhole.com/?menuid=278_ (http://tenhole.com/?menuid=278)    and _http://overblow.com/_
(http://overblow.com/)
The ant-  theft strips are used for deburring the sides of reeds and reed
slots.
Gapping is a great start.  Re embossing, it reduces tolerances and  should
make the harp play better.  U have to stay away from the reed end or  else u
will squash the reed into it's slot.  To keep u from overdoing  it, until u get a
feel for it, you might want to try one pass at a time,  then plink the reed
with a feeler gauge after each pass.  You  will then hear the noise as soon as
u begin to overdo it, while it is still easy  to correct.  For embossing the
slot, I use a small socket; others use  nothing more complicated, or expensive,
than a penny.
  I suggest that every harp player get a set of tools.  I  have a Lee Oskar
set, but only use a few of the tools from it.  I no  longer use chisels to
scrape reeds.  Instead i use the sanding wands from  MicroMark.  For me, feeler
gauges are necessary basic tools, as are  toothpicks.
  U may also want to cut the learning curve by buying Rupert Oysler's  harp
repair and maintenance CD-ROM or DVD.  Starting when you are  young is a good
idea, imho.
ron