Subject: [Harp-L] Loud?

With tongue in cheek.  I felt the same way about the C chromatic,  not having any oomph and  the key of G diatonic not having any oomph either.  G diatonics where just a kind of dead harmonica. Too weak to play. I had a couple that saw little action for many years before I started playing with a Country/Gospel group. Same with the C Super Chromatic. Soft volume came out of it . But, as I started playing both types by necessity,,,, they began to be OK. I got used to them.   Something just started to click and both G harp and C Chro are fine to me now.
I mostly like to play through a vocal mike and PA. After years of searching for "that sound" by buying old crystals, magnetics, Butterfield mikes, old tube amps etc; the sound that I was looking for was a  vocal mike and a PA system.
A Chromatic sounds beautifully rich through a PA with a little reverb/delay.
There is a so called harp mike that I think has not quite arrived.  It's a Shaker Dynamic. It has decent low end but weak highs.  But to my ears, it gives the Chro a nice full sound with guitar amp or PA.  But that's just me. I am in no way endorsing the Shaker. It seems to be a pretty poor quality mike.  I'm not certain about my ability to judge it's quality other than I rarely use it.  Except that it does well on the lower end of a Chro.   So I guess my point is....experiment and find what works for you.  (many great singers have saved their voices by learning how to use a mic) Let the equipment do the work.          Ed
Checked by AVG Free Edition.