[Harp-L] Loud?

I really don't like Chromatics.  The concept of playing a chromatic appeals to me, all those positions and keys.  But whenever I try to play one, I really don't like the sound that comes out of it.  Without any reed interaction they sound like my son's guitar pro computer program playing music.  For as big and expensive as the chromatic is, I am remarkably unskilled at getting any kind of volume out of it.  I've tried half valving a diatonic with disastrous results.  I hated it.  I'm convinced that I can tweak any harmonica.     I own some used ones that I picked up with the intention of working on them.  I really don't have any idea as to which direction to go.  I like loud, and I like tonal interaction.  My favorite harps so far are the Seydel valved octave and the Hohner Autovalve.  I can figure out the just intonation if I make up my mind to turn it
into a chord instrument.  What I can't figure out is how to make them
loud and pleasant sounding. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I should tweak my chromatics so that I can stand to listen to them while I'm playing them?  Got any suggestions?  Sack the valves and double the reedplates maybe.