Re: [Harp-L] (no subject)

Might have missed some of the replies Murray. I've been teaching two classes of 10-12 people, 32 weeks a year for 8 years. I'm sure Jon has his own reasons for using his particular method. I show my students two doors: I show them  how to play a chordal vamp over every tune I teach, and then I teach them (for the blues type numbers) to use the pentatonic scale, ignoring the chords except as mental bookmarks.
 In the case of the 12 bar:
 4 bars drawing holes 1-4 or 1-5, the latter especially in the fourth bar;
2 bars blowing, 1-4 for rhythmic purposes, but pointing out they can move up & down if their ear takes them there;
2 Bars drawing the chord again, then:
2 bars drawing hole 1only (or 1 & 4 if they can block) - I also show them an alternative for these two bars, which is:
   drawing hole 1 for a bar, and then either blowing 1 or a block of 1-4; and finally:
2 bars of drawing 1-4.
I have further embellishments on this, but that's the basics.
I then show them how they can construct solos just by using the notes of these chords individually. Ends up sounding a bit like calypso or like New Orleans Mardi Gras music.
Then I teach them the pentatonic scale: (example key of G on  C harp)
Pentatonic (5 note) Blues Scale
1B   1D    2D & bend to 'F'    2D   3D & bend to Bb    4B    4D   5D   6B   7D    7B    8D    9D   9B   10B & bend to Bb  10B

I start by just getting them used to going from the unbent 2D (G) up to the 6B (G) without worrying about the bend on three.
I then demonstrate how the unbent 3 sounds OK over the first four bars, but nb not over the fifth& sixth, where it really needs to be bent a semitone (to Bb)
Later, we add a semitone bend on hole 4, between the straight blow & draw.
Finally I show them how, if they play the bend to Bb on 3D, the scale will work right through the three chord changes, and you can forget the chords pretty much, though it helps to know where you are with regard to them.
This seems to work well for most of my students.
Hope it helps you!
RD

>>> Murray Tyler <murray.tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 23/08/2007 18:53 >>>
Greetings all

I?m new to this and trying to resolve the whole position thing for diatonic.
I?ll term my questions in terms of a C harp.

I understand the general idea of playing the harp in a different key * eg to
play in G, go up a fifth = 2nd position, to play in D go up one more = 3rd
position etc. What I don?t get is the idea of which notes/holes are ?safe? to
play and which are to be avoided.

If I express it in the Jon Gindick method of safe notes and stepping stone (not
automatically harmonising) notes, to play second position, and ignoring most
bends for the moment, I get the following (up to hole 6):

G * found on 2D, 3B, 6B (safe, resolution notes) * this seems obvious enough.
A * 6D (safe)
B * 3D (safe)
C * 1B, 4B (stepping stone)
D * 1D, 4D (safe)
E * 2B, 5B (stepping stone)
F# - 2D bent (unknown, but works well)

So my questions are:

1. Why don?t C and E (and for that matter 5D, F) work that well?
2. Given the answer to 1, how would I work out what to play and not play for
3rd position, or any other position?
3. Why do all the bends (1D, 2D, 3D, 4D, 6D) seem to fit OK?

Thanks and regards

Murray